Sunday, May 8, 2011

Trimming the Angora

Well, I broke down and did it.  I trimmed the female angora.  She was quite fluffy and I thought her to be a large rabbit.  You learn something new every day.

Here she is in her standard form.  She's cute, but doesn't care much for me.  She loves the oldest Oompa, but that completes her realm of affection.


In addition, the baby New Zealand that we got treats her like her mother.  Issy (pictured) has zero percent maternal instinct when it comes to Easter, the little bunny.  Easter doesn't care and snuggles with Issy anyway.

I set out on the venture with scissors, knowing it would take me awhile.  After an hour, I still hadn't trimmed her underside.  All of our rabbits are shy about the underside and you can't blame them.  Here is the result:






As you can see, she's not much larger than Easter, the baby.  My theory is that Easter will probably outweigh Issy by about 4-6 lbs. 

Issy's undercoat is really dense.  And soft. Really soft.  I filled a gallon bag with her fur and we're planning on felting it.  Felting looks so much easier than spinning.  Not to mention that you don't have to knit when felting.

Next comes the male.  I expect to come out of that deal chewed up.  He's feisty.

Pax Domini Sit Semper Vobiscum,

Mike, Oscar, Hotel.....out.

2 comments: