Monday, May 2, 2011

Axe Pack

The Axe Pack

I've been working on this idea for awhile now.  When I've been off in the woods, I've found myself sometimes carrying a pack for no reason other than to cart around my equipment, such as saws, sharpening stones, etc.  I don't always need my day pack and I'm looking for a solution for that.  So I'm working on the axe pack.








This is a prototype and only has one pocket on it.  I plan on expanding the design to three pockets; one for a smaller dual-grit stone, one for oil and one for miscellaneous.  Beyond that, I'm going to try to rig up a shoulder strap or straps.  I realize that there isn't a wide need for this kind of set up, but it fills a personal need.

With the scrap leather that I used, the artificial sinew and the buttons I have a grand total of about $2.00 invested and a whole lot of time.  Not bad, in my opinion.

Pax Domini Sit Semper Vobiscum,

Mike, Oscar, Hotel.....out.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting idea! And I see no reason you couldn't sling an axe the same as a rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive, certainly dose solve a lot of problems. I have just been forcing myself to carry smaller and smaller bags because I end up with my entire gear set on a 3 hour hunting trip. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really clever! I've never seen anything like it. When you get to your choppin' site, just pop it off and hang it up somewhere. Very clever way of carrying extra bits and pieces without a pack.

    Thanks for showing!

    bmatt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. If you want any more info on carrying tools, there is a post I made a while back showing 18th century pioneer equipment by Diderot. There is an axe carrier among them, HERE:
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/search?q=diderot

    ReplyDelete
  5. oscar.... think indian. get in touch with your native self and you will find atleast 2 different ways theis can be done. both methods wont require removal of the pack for ease of acces nor will they hinder the work to be done. there is a gun slinger portion of this that i can see in my head also if your harness is designed right... GT out (i will figure out the url thing soon enough im sure but for now it will be signed anonymous GT)

    ReplyDelete