Friday, April 1, 2011

Blog Re-run: Properly Defining the Anatomy of an Axe

Properly Defining the Anatomy of an Axe

All Terms Roughly Borrowed  from The Ax Book, by D. Cook

I've only been into axes a short while.  It all started with a hatchet I got at Big Lots and has slowly exploded from there.   What I didn't know is that there are words to properly define different parts of the axe.  You probably know them all.  I didn't, so I'm sharing what I learned in The Ax Book.


Axe Head.  If you have trouble remembering this one, you should not be at this blog. :)


The "Bit", otherwise defined as the cutting edge.



 Upper Corner or "Toe" of the Bit.


Lower Corner, or "Heel" of the Bit.

The Eye.


The Poll (or back of the axe), according to D. Cook, "a solid mass of metal that aids balance and control of the axe.  He also adds, "The poll should not be used as a hammer.":



That's all for today folks!


Pax Domini Sit Semper Vobiscum,

Mike, Oscar, Hotel.....out.

1 comment:

  1. It does make a handy hammer though, you have to admit. Although I hear you aren't supposed to use shovel to kill a racoon. "I have my shotgun!"
    "No, it's OK, I have a shovel."
    "...shovel?"

    ReplyDelete