Sunday, January 2, 2011

Attempting to Solve the Mystery

Today in the News:  All is quiet on the homefront.  Monday means back to reality. Hope you all had a good break.

Link of the Day:  http://outdoorconnections.blogspot.com/ . Another fellow blogger that I found at the BCUSA forum.  I checked out his blog and I like it a lot.  I only wish he'd write more. ;)  In addition, he has fantastic music on his page!  He has about 6 followers at the moment.  Head on over and click "follow" in the upper left hand corner.  I did!
Attempting to Solve the Mystery

I went home to Maine in August of '10.  Uncle Bern gave me a lot of cool items on that trip, including a badly pockmarked Hudson Bay Head which was attached to a handle my Grandfather (from here on known as "Gramp") had carved before he died.  I talked about it here.



Uncle Bern and I discussed it back and forth and between us, we believed the head to be a Norlund, though we couldn't prove it.  It was really more of a semi-educated guess.  Last week I was cruising ebay and I was several Snow and Nealley heads come up for auction, one of which was an older Hudson Bay model, pictured below.







  I noticed that the seller had taken a picture of the bottom of the pole, which indicated the weight of the head, which was 1 3/4 pounds.  I have the same notation on my S&N 3 1/4 lb. axe, but not on the other two that I found in Gramp's garage.






 That tells me that the HB axe on ebay is from the same era (I'm guessing here).  Out of curiosity, I went out to the shed and looked at the bottom of the poll on the HB that Uncle Bern gave me.  This is what I found:



Let's make that a little clearer:



I'd never looked hard enough to see it before, but it is there - the remnants of a 1 and the bottom of a 3, including part of the slash for the fraction.  I was stoked.  In the above picture, I outlined it in red so you can see it better.

So I went to the Snow and Nealley website and found the link for customer service.  I emailed them and asked if they could identify the era of the heads with the marked numbers on the bottom of the polls.   I doubted I would get a response.  Nothing against the company at all (I LOVE S&N, in case you haven't figured it out) - I was emailing them about a rusty old head I didn't even pay money for - they owe me nothing, but much to my surprise, I got an email about two days later from a lady named Barb.  She wrote:

"Hi Mark,

You can send it and I can ask Leroy.  He has work for S&N over 30 years so he may have some idea. 

Thanks

Barb"

It's on like Donkey Kong!  I don't know who Leroy is, but I'd like to buy him a cup of coffee and shoot the breeze with him for a bit.

I'll keep ya'll posted on what I find out.  Just for reference, here is my new hudson bay beside the old one.  As you can see, they've changed slightly.


Pax Domini Sit Semper Vobiscum,

Mike, Oscar, Hotel.....out.


No comments:

Post a Comment