Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Yard Sale Find - Maul Head and Two Wedges

 Today in the News:  No news is good news and good news is hard to come by.  Drop me a line, if'n ya want.  house.of.howes@hotmail.com .

Link of the DayRose Antique Tools . These folks are a family owned business and they sell old tools, including axe heads.  Sounds like a member of the family has a terminal illness, so if you order, be patient.  Their prices may be a little high, but my impression is that that these folks know their stuff.  If you buy something, tell them Mike Oscar Hotel from the Sharpened Axe Blog sent you do business.  They have no clue who I am, but maybe they will, eventually!

Yard Sale Find - Maul Head and Two Wedges

So, as I've said several times before, I scored two Gransfors handles last year at a yard sale on the cheap.  I keep an eye on the local notices and remembered the address when the same residence posted a yard sale a few weeks ago.  I went back with stars in my eyes, hoping for the same deal, but it was really like the vultures plucking at last year's Thanksgiving turkey carcass.  Really, that bad.  One thing I did notice was two wedges and a maul head. After The Wandering Thinker's great post a few weeks ago, I couldn't pass 'em up. Got the lot for $3.00, threw 'em on the back of the pickup and forgot about them for a bit.  


The eye looks abnormally small.  Any comments on this?
This says, "Always Wear Safety Goggles" - must be vintage..............Chinese, anyway.
Looked up Dasco.  Sounds like fiberglass handle territory.  Doesn't matter, I'll use it.
Like I said, small eye.
The wedges.....they have a green tint to them.
I love markings on heads, even if it means P.R.C.
                         
                  And and "EY" on the other one.  I'm going to pretend it means Snow and Nealley.



Stay tuned for the rest of this week.  We have some very interesting articles coming up by our recurring guest writers, bmatt and Bernard Ten Bears!



Pax Domini Sit Semper Vobiscum,

Mike, Oscar, Hotel.....out.




2 comments:

  1. It looks like it probably is used with a fiberglass handle. Mine is about the same width but its cut closer to the edge like an axe. I'm just reminded of the newer tools that use a round fiberglass handle (like shovels), I bet a good piece of Hickory would really beef it up though. Either way though its still a good find for the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, a dollar a piece? Great find! Hope they serve you well!

    bmatt

    ReplyDelete